ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for providing supervisory coverage for the packaging department. May occasionally relieve Production Supervisor.
- Oversee the performance of the department while focusing on Cost, Quality, Safety, Food Safety, Sanitation Procedures and Employee Environment.
- Communicate and interact effectively with the department personnel, Plant Manager, all departments, plants, support services and all levels of management to ensure the smooth operation of the process.
- Coordinate and monitor scheduling of personnel to ensure proper staffing.
- Supervise employees to meet performance expectations by providing strong leadership, decision-making and coaching.
- Support and achieve budget requirements established by the Department and Plant Managers.
- Complete all assigned paperwork, including but not limited to, production/packaging records, Master Cleaning Sanitation Lists, schedules, accident reports and investigations, and any other paperwork deemed necessary.
- Coordinate and conduct employee training (i.e. job, safety, etc.) and monitor work performance.
- Participate and take ownership of the plant’s safety programs.
- Coach, counsel and discipline employees in a fair and consistent manner in accordance with the Company’s policies, procedures and work rules, and in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
- Promote the plant’s safety programs and policies to reduce employee accidents and injuries by providing safety training and enforcing safety practices at all times.
- Enforce the Company’s Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Food Safety procedures and constantly ensure the quality of the product.
- Ensure breaks and lunches are being given at the appropriate times and in accordance with laws.
- Notify management if any incidents and/or accidents occur.
- Responsible for maintaining food safety and quality.
- Perform miscellaneous duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dairy Science, Food Science or a related field, or the equivalent experience. Minimum of three years of supervisory experience in a cheese/dairy/food production environment.
- Working knowledge of computer programs (i.e. Excel, Word, etc.)
- Ability to define programs, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to lead, influence and motivate people.
- Ability to evaluate personnel and their abilities to effectively utilize the available workforce.
- Ability to learn the process, acquire necessary licenses and certificates to give guidance to employees.
- Ability to understand cost containment and budgetary principles.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to resolve problem areas.
- Ability to speak, read and write English.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (i.e. rotating days off, weekends & shifts (work on 1st shift as needed).
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently with good time management and organizational skills.
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, and squat for several minutes at a time.
- Must be able to stand on feet for at least a two-hour consecutive time-period.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 60 pounds.
- Must be able to enter confined spaces.
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear.
- Employee is required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle or feel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perceptions and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- Environment is occasionally damp and cold. Caustic, acid, and chlorine chemicals will be used and may emit fumes into the air.
- Floors may be wet and slippery.
- Wear PPE (Personal protective equipment) to ensure personal safety.
- Room temperature will range from 35 degrees F. to an excess of 130 degrees F.
- The use of safety glasses, ear plugs, rubber gloves and aprons are all necessary in this area.
- Minimal travel may be required